National Pet Day honors and aims to support pets in need, April 11. While many animals around the world have found their forever home, some are not as fortunate.
This national day was first founded by Celebrity Pet Lifestyle Expert & Animal Welfare Advocate Colleen Paige in 2006. Colleen’s inspiration behind the foundation was “to celebrate the joy pets bring to our lives and to create public awareness”, Pet Day USA says.
According to Colleen and the National Pet Day foundation, some ways to celebrate are:
- Adopt a pet from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
- Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to care for the animals.
- Donate blankets, food and toys to a favorite animal welfare organization.
- Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells pets from puppy or kitten mills.
- Assist an ill, elderly or a financially struggling neighbor or friend by purchasing pet food, hay or needed items for their pets.
- Buy your pet a fun new toy….or two…or five.
In Fresno alone, there are 10 animal shelters. In California there are approximately 90 animal shelters.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals offers the following statistics:
Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized.
Be the difference in a needy animal’s life today!
Miss Winkles is one of many animal shelters in Fresno that works with the public to find forever homes for homeless animals. FC has partnered with Miss Winkles in the past, in projects such as Homecoming for Humanity.
For more Feather photos, visit media, photos 2018-19.Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather, Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline.
Your voice is important to us. Share your opinion in the comment box located beneath the Related Posts section.